S u b m i s s i o n s
Solstice Magazine gives you the opportunity to contribute your work and have it published in a high end, exquisitely printed editorial.
Being published in Solstice Magazine is fantastic for any creative's portfolio and can be used as a springboard to further success.
Submission windows and deadlines:
Website Editorials - Always open
Issue 39: Winter, Volumes 1 & 2 - (Released at 10pm (GMT) 21st December): Taking submissions until 18th December
When submitting please follow the guidelines outlined on this page. Upon reviewing submissions, Solstice Magazine reserves the right to accept or deny any submission we receive.
Submissions are reviewed based on their content, quality and relevance. We only publish the highest quality work, so make sure you step up to make the cut.
NB: Solstice Magazine doesn’t provide complimentary print copies, as presently the publication is printed exclusively through Magcloud, Magcloud prints-by-purchase. We also don’t pay for editorials. We are looking for only UNPUBLISHED editorials. We are happy to send out digital tear-sheets should you want them.
If your photographs are published in Solstice Magazine, they must be ONLY be published in Solstice Magazine, if we find out that they are published by another magazine they will be removed before publication, or removed from the website if it is an online editorial. We will not publish photos from shoots that have already been published in other magazines, even if they are different photos. Once your submissions are accepted they must not be posted online or any social media until the magazine is released. We will put you on a blacklist and not accept anything from you in the future should we find out that one of the editorials we published has been published somewhere else.
The cover is chosen by us; there is no need to ask for your work to be featured as the cover.
We receive over a hundred submissions a day via our submissions email, it can take us up to a week and a half to reply, so we do offer a priority option for you to send your submissions to. This is in the form of Kavyar, an online submissions platform. For a small fee you can get a quick reply and you can also request feedback on your editorials. Kavyar also lets you upload the team and styling credits, and we can download it all if the editorial has been accepted.
Non-Priority Submission Email:
As mentioned before, we get many submissions via email, so it can take us up to a week and a half to reply. Please only send submissions via this method if you are not in a hurry to get a reply.
- We are a women's fashion & beauty magazine, so we only credit women's clothing in an editorial. Any editorials featuring menswear will not not have the men's clothing credited.
- We accept Fashion, Beauty & Written Submissions.
- All fashion submissions should have a minimum of 5 outfit changes for website publication, and a minimum of 5 outfit changes for print publication. We prefer to receive at least 3 photos of each outfit, so that we have some choice for the editorial design. Once your submission is accepted for publication the files sizes required are: 8.5 x 11 inches for Portrait orientation and 17 x 11inches for landscape orientation images. Photos that don't have those dimensions will be cropped to make them fit. Images should be at 300DPI. We use mostly portrait images, so the less landscape images the better. For landscape images, subjects should be to one side and not centred. Centred subjects will be distorted due to the way the pages bend inwards, this doesn't look good at all. Photos may be cropped to ensure the best fit if this is the case.
- All Beauty submissions should have a minimum of 5 different hair & make up looks. Once your submission is accepted for publication the files sizes required are: 8.5 x 11 inches for Portrait orientation and 17 x 11inches for landscape orientation images for print. Images should be at 300DPI. We use mostly portrait images, so the less landscape images the better. For landscape images, subjects should be to one side and not centred. Centred subjects will be distorted due to the way the pages bend inwards, this doesn't look good at all. Photos may be cropped to ensure the best fit if this is the case.
- When submitting for consideration, please try to submit your images in a zip file with low-resolution images inside as attachments, include the photographers name and a suggested title for the story. Please do not submit heavy high resolution email attachments.
- For fashion submissions, wardrobe credits are required. We do not credit any boutiques, PR companies or shops that clothes are sourced from, only brands and designers are credited. We won’t be held accountable for any missing or misspelled credit. Be sure to double check that all brands/designers used are included in the styling credits and that their names are spelt correctly. We do not take responsibility for any missing or misspelt credits, as we copy and paste directly from the styling credits document sent to us.
- We reserve the right to give our own title to an editorial. We will consider any title you provide, but may go against it if we feel it isn't representative of the editorial or if we think we have a better one.
- Team credits are essential for all submissions, if we have accepted your submissions and you provide the high resolution images without team credits, your submission will not be published. We won’t be held accountable for any missing or misspelled credit. Be sure to double check that all people involved in making the editorial are included in the credits and their names are spelt correctly. If for any reason a submission is published and a individual/s credit is missing, the person who submitted the editorial will be held responsible. Along with model’s name be sure to list the agency name. Be sure to send credits as editable pdf files or Word Files.
- For the styling, a variety of well known brands must be used. Any particular brand may only feature in a maximum of 2 different outfits.
- If a set of photos features a brand(s) that has been featured in more than two different outfits a fee of US$250 would have to be paid for it to be published. A good editorial should feature a wide variety of different/brands. A lack of variety in brands/designers used is detrimental to the overall quality of the editorial, and the in turn, the magazine. This is why there is a fee for publishing these.
- Any content that is of hardcore pornographic or violent/gory nature will not be published.
We keep website and print editorials separate. Your editorial will be published in one or the other, not both. Please state your preference in your email if you have one.
- Once an image is accepted to be published, it grants us the permission to use your work in any of our publications, websites, videos, marketing pieces, advertisements, and any other mediums or formats used in the creation, dissemination, and monetisation of Solstice Magazine.
-Photos from a photo shoot must not have been published on any other publication's magazine, website, blog or social media and must not do so after we publish the editorial. All editorials must be fully exclusive to Solstice Magazine.
- Photos from an editorial must not have been published on any social media or portfolio websites apart from personal websites. This includes websites such as PhotoVogue, Flickr, 500px and other such websites.
- We reserve the right to pull an editorial from our magazine without your consent if we find out that photos from the photo shoot have been published somewhere before. In some cases we may downgrade publication from print to the website, or if it was initially accepted for publication on the website it will not be published at all. We may choose not to feature your editorial on social media at all.
In order to be eligible for a pull letter the stylist of the editorial must have been published by our magazine at least three times in the 12 months prior to the pull letter request.
We also need a full proposition document which includes a moodboard showing type of styling and hair & make up you have in mind, details and photos of the location you would like to shoot at (if it is a location shoot), the confirmed team members and their websites (including models and their agency profile) and the date of the shoot.
Please note that we do not pay for your editorials as we are a small magazine and do not have the budget to do so at the moment.
Contributing Writers & Bloggers Submission
We are always looking for guest writers and bloggers who would like to contribute to the magazine and website. If you are interested in writing or blogging for us, please send an email to with the headline “Writer Submission” or “Blogger Submission” and include writing samples and links to your work, blog or portfolio.
Please note that we do not pay for your articles as we are a small magazine and do not have the budget to do so at the moment.
- Work was submitted after the deadline.
- The quality of the images aren’t of a high enough standard.
- The submission doesn’t fit the theme for the issue.
Although your rejection could be due to any of the above stated reasons, we will not have time to state which of the reason applied to the submission. Please note that all submissions will NOT be replied to, you will receive an acceptance email once your submission has been accepted, if you don’t receive a reply within 7-10 days of your submission then it wasn’t accepted; you do not need to send multiple emails to receive a reply.
- All submissions must be sent before the stated deadline.
- If a submission have been accepted and the final pieces aren’t sent before the deadline, that submission will not be published in the issue for which it was accepted.